Clicking in the jaw and ringing in the ears are common discomforts, but many have no idea that a visit to the dentist can relieve these symptoms! Problems in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) can be assessed and treated by a professional who understands the link between dental health and overall oral comfort.
Symptoms of TMD
The temporomandibular joints are the hinges right in front of the ears connecting the jawbone to the rest of the skull. TMJ dysfunction, or TMD, occurs when the TMJ becomes damaged or inflamed. Commonly reported symptoms include:
- Popping or clicking sounds in jaw near the ears
- Pain or tightness in jaw
- Difficulty chewing
- Headaches or migraines
- Ringing or buzzing ears
- Stiff or sore head, neck, and shoulder muscles
Dr. Sutton or Dr. Hills can determine if your symptoms are caused by TMD and can provide treatment to relieve your discomfort.
Causes of TMD
Because each case of TMD is different, you will need an assessment of what is causing your TMD. Possible causes include:
A professional diagnostic from our team can determine the source of your TMD so that an effective treatment can be customized for you.
Our TMD Treatment Options
Emerald Coast Dentistry offers several options for treating TMD:
- A mouthguard can be worn at night to relax your jaw muscles, prevent grinding, and keep your bite aligned. This oral device is crafted to fit over your teeth.
- A bite relationship analysis can determine any problems with how your top teeth are hitting against your bottom teeth.
- Relaxation techniques can reduce stress and tension in your jaw muscles.
- Muscle relaxants and pain medications can also relieve stress and tension in the jaw.
- A bite realignment can more permanently eliminate TMD by adjusting the contact between your upper and lower teeth. This is our most-recommended option for severe cases of TMD!
Don’t continue ignoring or putting up with your TMD symptoms any longer! Schedule a TMJ analysis with us today.